WCHS administration updates hallway policy

Tori Allen

On the morning of Thursday, Oct. 6, an updated hallway policy was introduced over the announcements. The announcement was read by teachers throughout the day and was enforced that morning by the administration. The policy is to ensure that every student gets to class on time and to keep students from running in the halls.

The full announcement read: “Students, there is way too much hanging out in between class periods which has increased the number of tardies to class from last year.  We have also had more and more students running to class.  If you are asked to go to class you need to comply or you will face disciplinary consequences. If you are running to class you will be referred and face disciplinary consequences.  Not listening is insubordination and running in the hallways is a safety hazard.  Thank you. Mrs. Haffner, Mr. Myers, and Mr. Thobe.”

Sophomore Macy Patton said she received an ASI from the new hallway policy.  “I don’t like the policy at all,” Patton said. She feels that the administration should give six minutes in between class instead of four. She doesn’t think that the policy is going to be helpful. “What’s changing? People are still going to stay in the halls.” As a student that has gotten a ASI from the policy, she doesn’t feel it is fair that anyone receives an ASI. She feels the administration could do something other than give out ASIs.

The sophomore and junior principal, Mr. Brad Thobe, is happy about the policy.  He said  he liked the policy and  noticed a difference and fewer student tardies.

Mr. Thobe said the policy could be changed if other ways to keep the halls from being crowded were suggested to administration. He also said there has only been one office referral for running.  Mr. Thobe feels the policy helps with safety and keeps collisions from happening in the hallways.

Mr.Thobe wasn’t the only one that thought the hallway policy was a must, concerns were voiced by the staff and even some of the students.