First WCHS robotics team competes in FIRST Robotics Competition

Robot #6032, the robot built by the WCHS robotics team, is designed to shoot a ball and navigate through ground defenses.

Provided by Chase Bartram

Kevin Clem, Sports Editor

The WCHS Robotics Club has been getting ready for the FIRST Robotics Competition that takes place today through Saturday in Cleveland, Ohio. The competition consists of 26 teams of students from other schools, and features multiple challenges and obstacles that teams must overcome with the robots they’ve built. The winners of the FIRST competition will advance on to Nationals in St. Louis.

The Robotics club at WCHS, which is advised by math teachers Mr. Michael Neal and Mr. Michael Scott, has been building their robot, #6032, since the beginning of January. Also since this is the first year WCHS has had a robotics club, they will be considered for the  “Best Rookie Robot” award in Cleveland.

Robot #6032 is controlled by an Xbox controller and was designed to aim and launch a ball and navigate through multiple ground defenses. When asked how he felt about the Robotics Club member and WCHS senior Chase Bartram said “Robotics Club was an awesome learning experience and it was cool to work together with people I normally don’t talk to to create a fully functioning robot.”

Good luck to the WCHS Robotics Club in the FIRST Robotics Competition.