New high school policies due to COVID-19

Students+in+Mrs.+Shteiwis+class+adhere+to+the+districts+COVID+regulations+during+school+in+November.+

Mrs. Parido

Students in Mrs. Shteiwi’s class adhere to the district’s COVID regulations during school in November.

Becca Poteet, Class of 2021

UPDATE: Since this story was submitted for publication, WCHS has switched back to remote instruction and will resume in-person learning Nov. 30.

The WCHS administration made changes to prevent the spread of COVID-19. WCHS students have not been allowed to attend in person class since March 13, 2020. WCHS will look different now that we are here in school to ensure the safety of our students and staff.

Principal Candice Haffner confirmed we will have to wear masks in school and will be for the foreseeable future.  

To keep things clean in the classroom Ms. PJ Babb said, “ Between classes, we have a sanitizer that the district has given us and we have to wipe down each of desks between every class.”

To prevent the spread of COVID-19, there have been plastic dividers installed in some of the rooms. Vice Principal Ms. Amy Kincer said, The art, science, computer, and Food and wellness classes are the ones with the dividers. A few random classes have them if they have tables in the room instead of student desks!”

So what happens if a student or staff member gets coronavirus? Mrs. Haffner said, “ If a person tests positive AND they are symptomatic, they must be quarantined 10 days from the onset of symptoms. If they test positive and are ASYMPTOMATIC (they do not have symptoms), they must quarantine 10 days from the date of the test.”

Some may be wondering how teachers feel about returning to school with students in the classroom. Ms. Babb said, “ I would rather have my students in the classroom, but I want them to be here safely also.“

What is the situation with school dances?

Mrs. Haffner said, depending on what the Department of Health allows, we will have a basketball Homecoming and Prom and possibly pep rallies. She said it depends on the guidance they receive from the Department of Health and the governor. 

It is important for everyone to follow the safety guidelines they have placed in school so we can stay in school this year.