Students should have the day of Prom off school

Staff Editorial

News Staff

Do you think upperclassmen should get the entire day off for Prom? If you’re going to Prom do you think that you will have enough time to get ready? For girls it’s all about the hair, makeup, and nails which may take more than a couple hours to complete. In the past years, students got the entire day to get ready for Prom because Prom was traditionally on a Saturday. Last year was the first year that students had to attend school the same day as Prom. With school in the way, it’s a jumble to get ready for last minute Prom things.

Students getting ready for Prom have a lot to do that day.  Picking up a corsage, picking up a tux, getting a shower, taking pictures and getting dinner are just a few traditions WCHS students adhere to. For girls it’s all about the hair, makeup and nails –which may take more than a couple hours to complete.

If Prom is going to be on a Friday, then ticket holders should have the whole school day off to get ready without rushing. Students should have the day off so it’s relaxing and thought out instead of rushed and hurried. If students don’t have adequate time to prepare for Prom, students could forget something important or even worse, get into an accident. If a student gets up at 7 a.m. to get ready for school and After Prom doesn’t end until 3 a.m. some students will be awake for 20 hours on the day of Prom.

Prom was changed to a Friday because it is half as expensive as having Prom on a Saturday. The rental for the venue this year is $1,100 and doubles to $2,200 on a Saturday night. Of course you have to add DJ expenses, decorations, cookies, Prom favors, King and Queen crowns and any extra costs. All those things added up is about $6,000.00 according to one of the Prom advisers, Mrs. Mitchell. Prom on a Friday saves students a lot of money, so although some students have argued to move Prom back to Saturday, we think Prom should stay on Friday.

As of right now, it does not sound like students will get the day off school. Juniors and seniors were released at 1:06 p.m. last year and that is the administration’s plan for this year as well. Mr. Myers said that additional hours out of school would be excessive.

Despite this, we think that missing approximately 4.5 hours of school would not significantly impact our education in a negative way.  If we had the day off, students would have a safer and more fun experience to remember for the rest of their lives.