Coffee, Coffee, and more Coffee

The+new+coffee+kiosk.+The+kiosk+is+not+open+yet%2C+but+will+be+soon+and+is+located+outside+the+cafeteria.+

Sidney Ison

The new coffee kiosk. The kiosk is not open yet, but will be soon and is located outside the cafeteria.

Sidney Ison, Staff Writer

Students at WCHS were both baffled and confused when an area outside the cafeteria was blocked off with a simple sign that said “Coming Soon,” in the middle of last month. After that, rumors began spreading around about what might be behind those semi-permanent walls. It turns out, that some of the rumors were indeed true: it is a coffee kiosk. The coffee kiosk is not only a nice touch to our school, it’s also an incredible opportunity for the students who will be running the kiosk.

The Coffee Kiosk, which does not yet have an opening date, will be open from 7:15 a.m. through 12:06 p.m, which will give all students a chance to check it out. Intervention Specialist Mr. Brian Tarbox is the one who thought of the idea to bring a coffee kiosk to the school. He got the idea from another school and immediately thought it should be brought here to give special needs students a chance to work.

The inside of the coffee kiosk.
Sidney Ison
The inside of the coffee kiosk.

The question students have asked most is “Who will be running the kiosk?” The coffee kiosk is made to benefit special needs students and help them get a feel of what having a job is really like. Overall it’s not only a good investment, but it’s also a good learning skill for the students who will be running it to help them get the experience of what it is like to work.

Many students have asked, “Well, if we can get a Coffee Kiosk, why can’t we afford busing?” The two costs don’t correlate with each other at all. When the idea for the kiosk was first suggested, Assistant Superintendent Mrs. Melissa Theis filed for a grant. A grant is money given to the school from the government to help students or give something to students in some way.