Local Legend: Frankenstein’s Castle

a true story…

Lexi Holland, Staff Writer

Multiple legends about one local tower, also known as “Frankenstein’s Castle,” located at the Hills & Dales park (previously known as Patterson Park) have been told among WCHS students throughout the years.

The true story of the tragedy that happened to Peggy Harmeson in 1967  is told today in honor of Halloween.

Junior Tre Nixon, believes Frankenstein lived in the tower and killed people and the monster’s victims now haunt the tower.

Another popular tale that has been told of the infamous tower, is that a mother gave birth to her baby in the tower and the baby died from being born without proper medical care. The woman committed suicide in the tower due to her depression from the loss of her child. Some say if you go to the tower at a certain time in the middle of the night, you will see the woman walking around towards the top.

However, those suspicions of the tower are false. According to one local Dayton resident, the tower was originally built to be a lookout tower to serve as a shelter and to see the views of the park. When it was first built, there was a door you would enter and a spiral staircase lead to the top, where you could look out at.

According to a Xenia Daily Gazette article published in 1967, the building contained a lot of metal. The metal was mostly in the gate at the front and the railing to the stairs. The Daily Gazette reported that in 1967, 16 year old Peggy Ann Harmeson and her 17 year old boyfriend Ronald Kevin Stevens, from Bellbrook Ohio, were driving near the park and got caught in a lightning storm. They both went to the tower to seek shelter. While in the shelter, a bolt of lightning hit the metal that was located in the tower. According to The Prodigy Group website, police said, “A ball of fire may have hit the door and rolled up the stairs. They were no doubt on their way down and she was in front and got the full force.” Harmeson died from the severe burns she received on her chest and face, according to The Prodigy Group. However, Stevens (who was located nine steps below her when the lightning hit the tower) received less severe burns on his face and chest. When he was questioned about the incident, he had a hard time recalling what exactly happened that night.

Perhaps the legends of someone haunting the tower is Peggy…or is it?