The 2016 Presidential Race:

Controversy, scandal and more controversy!

Chris Lynch

The 2016 Presidential Election. A race shrouded with controversy and uncertainty. As the two main candidates, Hillary Clinton (D) and Donald Trump (R), battle it out on the main stage, Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson looms in the shadows, possibly gaining momentum. As Americans attentively watch the race unfold, we all await our fate come November 8, Election Day.

After polling 60 random WCHS students about who they want as president, most students seem to be undecided while third party (Libertarian) candidate Gary Johnson leads out of the three candidate choices. (Results shown below):

screen-shot-2016-10-27-at-10-34-44-pm

Here at WCHS, most students take American Government (a required course for graduation) during their junior year.  Before that, they most likely won’t have a definitive political opinion. Ms. PJ Babb, one of the Government teachers here at WCHS, said, “You should get educated on issues and all candidates running for office, as well as figuring out your own beliefs before supporting a candidate. When students leave high school, they’ll be eligible to vote for the rest of their lives. It’s important for them to understand how the government works so they can make educated choices.”

“You should get educated on issues and all candidates running for office, as well as figuring out your own beliefs before supporting a candidate.

— Ms. Babb

A poll published Oct. 11 in The Atlantic/PRRI has Clinton at 49 percent, Trump 38 percent, Johnson 11 percent, and Jill Stein trailing behind with two percent. For someone to be able to debate, they must poll at least 15% nationally. While Johnson has well over the requirement in some states, overall he hasn’t quite met the percentage.

With Johnson so close in the polls, it brings up the question: What if he was able to debate and how would it affect the election? Ms. Babb’s opinion on the matter is that it would mix things up.“Johnson’s already pulling undecided voters and he’s not even on the stage.”

Whether you can or can’t vote, it’s always a good thing to stay up to date on issues and to develop your own opinions and beliefs. No matter who wins, America and even the world might change, for better or worse.