WCHS Guard Finishes Successful Season

Chris Lynch

After performing at the Mid-East Performing Association Circuit Championships on April 1 at Wright State’s Nutter Center, the WCHS Winter Guard ended their season by placing second overall in Scholastic AA, the class they were recently promoted into.

WCHS Guard scored 75.61 with their 2017 show, “Dolls in the Attic.” They were behind first place Fairfield High School by about three points.

WCHS Guard took a beating after their first performance in their new class (Kettering-Fairmont on March 12). They placed fourth of four in Scholastic AA. The team  quickly recovered and at their next show, Hamilton High School on March 18, they beat out two other guards, including the contest hosts, and took  second in Scholastic AA.

During the days moving closer to Championships, the guard practiced often and even over Spring Break. Guard Co-Captain Junior Juliana Specht said that at the beginning of the season, the guard had a lot of new members, but throughout the season the group improved greatly by  performing the whole show together. Her favorite memory from the past season was at the Parent Preview Show near the beginning of the season, sophomore Liam Chidester and junior Vanessa Mebane yelled “Get down Mr. President” and everyone fell to the ground.

Recently, a few local guards competed at Winter Guard International (WGI) Guard World Championships. Kettering-Fairmont received fifteenth overall in Scholastic A. Bellbrook and Miamisburg competed in Scholastic World, Bellbrook received fifteenth and Miamisburg received thirteenth overall.

Since indoor season is over, the WC guard is preparing for the upcoming fall marching season. This upcoming year, the Marching Band and Color Guard will have an exciting season full of performances, including traveling to Northern Ohio and competing in the Bands of America Toledo Regional and performing at Cedar Point! If anyone is interested in joining Marching Band or Guard, find information in the high school band room.