Pinto takes point for Academy

Josh Kimberlin, Staff Writer

A recent change of administration saw Mrs. Pinto (WCHS art teacher) chosen as the director of the West Carrollton Secondary Academy (WCSA) after Mrs. Haffner (Assistant Principal) left the position. This change became official near the end of the 2015-2016 school year and has remained in place all through this year.

The WCSA is a system our school has in place to help students behind in their credits catch up so they can graduate on time.

It isn’t yet certain what this change in administration will entail for the WCSA students, but Mrs. Pinto explained that the Academy is an adaptive program. It will change to fit the needs of the students as those needs change. It seems unlikely that there will be any major changes without good reason. After all, the primary purpose of the WCSA is to conform to the situations of students in need of assistance.

With all of these unique situations comes a large amount of stress. “As Academy Director, you wear many hats. Basically, you are in charge of a school by yourself. You are Director, Principal, Guidance Counselor, Attendance Secretary, Nurse, and liaison with employers, to name a few,” said Mrs. Haffner, in regard to the responsibilities of the Academy Director. The situation has become somewhat more complicated recently, as the Academy has stopped operating as a completely separate entity. This requires a bit more work on Mrs. Pinto’s part to keep everything running as smoothly as possible

Even with all of those responsibilities, both Mrs. Haffner and Mrs. Pinto have expressed great love for WCSA. They love the interaction with the students and how they get to have a direct role in helping them succeed despite less-than-favorable odds. This was a key aspect that Mrs. Pinto appreciated, as it was not as present in a normal classroom.

It can’t be certain exactly what the future will entail for the WCSA, but under the guiding hands of someone as passionate as Mrs. Pinto, it is sure to do well.