Cram. Study. Schedule?

Felicia Smith, Staff Writer

Books are stacked, pages are ripped, and pencils are everywhere. The room is filled with silent stress. Brains are racing and scrambling with information.

Studying is always stressful. Studying has been important since you started school, but studying is different for everyone–some people don’t even study. As a teenager in high school, it’s important that you know the best way to study and what will benefit you most. Studying can be done anywhere: at school, at the library, at the bus stop, or at home. Learning the correct way to study will help you now in high school, and in the future for college.

A YouTube video by asapSCIENCE called “The 9 BEST Scientific Study Tips” explains plenty of good suggestions, and ideas for better ways to study. First, it tells us about cramming. You do not want to study by cramming all the information you need to know right before the test. When you use this technique, you might pull an all nighter, which interferes with your sleeping schedule. As adolescents, you need a full 8 hours of sleep, even when you need the A on a test.

You can change this bad study habit by making a study schedule. As funny as having a schedule for studying sounds, it will help you in the long run. Studying in small sessions of 15-30 minutes every day, two weeks before a test, actually helps you memorize and retain more information than if you had crammed.This also keeps you from staying up all night and losing the sleep you need to have energy for the next day.

An efficient way to study is flashcards because it’s easy to study anywhere. Flashcards are a repetitive study technique.

Although freshman Bri Southers and senior Molly Varro both say they don’t study at all,  ome students like senior Caitlin Collinsworth do review before a big test.  “[I work] on tons of practice problems to understand and make sure I know the steps to get the right answer,” Collinsworth said. She does this when she is preparing for a calculus quiz. Collinsworth said calculus is one of the only classes she studies for because it is a harder class.

Getting better grades can be done more easily when effort is put into studying. WCHS students want sleep and good grades, and a brief 30 minutes of your day dedicated to studying can help you out tremendously. Making a set of flashcards that you can use to study anywhere, or even looking at your notes once a day, will help you store more information over a cram session.