WCHS Guard Captures First at State Championships!

Chris Lynch, Staff Editor

On April 7, the WCHS Winter Guard competed at Mid-East Performance Association (MEPA) Circuit/State Championships at Wright State University’s Nutter Center, where they received first place out of 11 in Scholastic AA. The guard scored an 80.16 (their highest score of the year), finally beating out Walter E. Stebbins who they’ve been behind by a razor thin margin most of the season.

The Guard’s production this year was titled “Bound.” The theme portrays ideas of being afraid of falling in love and being “bound” to someone. The tarp where they performed was all black with several hand painted ropes on it, actual ropes were used as props throughout the show. They performed to “Bound” by Christina Aguilera.

Here are the results of the Guard’s season:

Saturday Feb. 3 (Miamisburg): 4th in Scholastic AA with a 54.91

Saturday, Feb. 10 (Fairfield): 4th in Scholastic AA with a 63.96

Saturday, Feb. 17 (Bellbrook): 2nd in Scholastic AA with a 62.36

Saturday, Feb. 24 (Nutter Center Saturday): 2nd in Scholastic AA with a 67.17

Sunday, Feb. 25 (Nutter Center Sunday): 2nd in Scholastic AA with 70.09

Sunday, March 4 (Centerville HS): 2nd in Scholastic AA with a 73.02

Saturday, March 17 (Hamilton HS): 2nd in Scholastic AA with a 72.25

Saturday, April 7 (MEPA Championships at Nutter Center): 1st in Scholastic AA with an 80.16.

The Guard’s win follows a season of close competition and countless hours of practice as the group pushed themselves to improve. This is the Guard’s first full season in Scholastic AA. Last year, they were promoted a few weeks before the end of the season due to their outstanding performance in their former class, Scholastic Regional A.

Despite the great performance of The Guard, up until recently, the group has been disregarded by most of the student body and athletic staff. “Winter guard deserves much more recognition than we currently get now. Name one sport at our school in the past ten years than can say they’re state champions or even runner ups. As a guard, we’ve consistently demonstrated that even when the administration disregards us as a sport and most of our resources are taken away, we can still place at the top during competitions,” stated senior Michele Hwang.

Currently, guard members are preparing for the upcoming fall marching band season.. If you’re interested in learning about the marching band’s fall show, make sure to attend the Spring Band Concert and Awards on May 16 in Guiler Auditorium. If you’re interested in joining marching band, or guard or just helping out, information can be found in the band room or email Laura Bukosky at [email protected].