Student Council Creates Empathy Day

Jake Boyd, Staff Writer

Schools across the nation participated in a student-led “walk out” to protest gun violence on March 14. On the same day, the WCHS Student Council held Empathy Day as an alternative. During first period, all classrooms watched a six minute video about caring for others to show that no one is alone.

After the Parkland school shooting, a student-led walk out arose from the sorrows of the victims. Although WCHS did not participate in this event, student council and administrators came together to create Empathy Day. This day consisted of a video and a class discussion.  In addition, classes were shortened on March 14 to allow time for classes to speak their mind about how the country should act after this attack and how WCHS should deal with our security problems. Some areas of concern voiced by students included: unlocked doors, easy access through the 200s-400s walkthrough, no resource officers, etc.

As the video progressed, some students began to feel tear droplets stride down their face. Some classrooms experienced the sound of silence throughout their discussion, however, some classrooms experienced the opposite: arguments echoing off the solid brick walls. Several students claimed their class proceeded to talk about additional problems facing the U.S. such as immigration, the death penalty and more.

Jada Brown, student body president, said: “We have received many good reviews on our decision on how to take on the nation gun reform protest. We tried to pry away from political facts and focus on caring for each other.” Brown hopes that this year’s student council will inspire future student bodies to follow in the same footsteps. “West Carrollton is and should be a loving place, and we want to keep it that way, and this was the perfect opportunity to do so.”

There were still some walkouts. According to Eric Mecca, a social studies teacher, “Although students are using their right to protest and assemble, the school is allowed to give consequences to those who skipped class.” The student body has many different political views, and some are not happy about the consequences for using their political freedom. However, the school’s decision to administer consequences are legal even with the right to protest, right to free speech, and right for free assembly.

Overall, Empathy Day worked great as an alternative, and brought the student body just a little bit closer to each other.