The Hook

The student news site of West Carrollton High School

The Hook

The Hook

Pirate Robotics
Pirate Robotics
Abbi Akemon, Staff Writer • April 26, 2024

Pirate Robotics is a very interesting club at West Carrollton High School whose season started in early January. They didn’t start competitions...

Prom 2024
Prom 2024
Madi McCune April 25, 2024

As prom approaches a lot goes into the big night. You may not realize but preparations need to be made soon. Here's how to ensure you have the...

Editorial: The Negative Impact of WCHS Phone Policy

For the new school year West Carrollton High School, new rules have been implemented. One of those rules is a new phone policy. Students are not to have their phones out from 8:00-3:10, and phones are to be kept out of sight. If a student is seen with their phone out for any reason, they are written up and their phone is either taken until the end of the day or put in their locker, receiving a detention and phone call home. This new rule is having a negative impact on students. 

Reasons why students need their phones: 

Students need their phones to be available to them. If a student’s parent texts them about something important the student will need to respond. A lot of parents like to be able to contact their kids quickly. Maybe a student is feeling unsafe or maybe something is wrong, they send their parents a quick message and then be on their way.

The negative impact phone have on students is being exaggerated. Phones can actually be a good way for students to keep notes, check grades quickly, or even check for missing assignments. Some students have a health problem and their phone is able to alert them with reminders or updates that they need. A lot of students prefer to listen to music to focus better and complete work. When it comes to the policy, it is quite harsh. Some students are in the habit of checking their phone for the time instead of the clock and the minute they check their phone the student is yelled at by staff and written up for detention.  Honestly, it is shocking how harsh the new policy can be over a small electronic device. 

Students opinions on the new policy: 

Some students have said they do not like the new policy nor do they think it has improved their focus or effort. No one has ever had an issue with doing school work because of their phone, they simply just don’t want to do the work. This reporter believes that putting in a more strict rule about phones is not going to encourage or push students to do work. Multiple students around the school have even talked about going back online because they are tired of the new rules and lack of respect toward them. 

Students don’t like coming to school anymore and now they get detentions or even Saturday school for having a phone out, even if it is face down on their desk. Student behavior or grades will not improve if administration does not begin to work with the students. Teachers and even Mr. White believe that this new phone rule will improve students grades and behaviors, but it will not. This new phone rule is going to do the complete opposite and make things worse for the students. The students here have very strong opinions and feelings about this new phone rule. This is going to be a losing battle for both sides. Students are not going to stop pulling out their phones, whether it is by habit or on purpose. Teachers are going to keep writing students up and it will not stop. A lot of staff members like to argue with the fact that phone write ups went from 100-200 to 22, but is it zero? Are students really engaged all because you took away their phone “privileges,” or are students just feeling even worse and less focused to even put in effort anymore?

Want to check out the other side of the story? Click here to see what other people have to say to the new phone policy!