Breaking News
The student news site of West Carrollton High School

The Hook

The Hook

The Hook

Stylin & Profiling

Here at West Carrollton students have many different and interesting styles. Style is a huge expression of a person’s personality and how they express themselves says a lot about themselves. MasterClass defines style as the way an individual expresses themselves through aesthetic choices such as their clothing, accessories, hairstyle, and the way they put an outfit together. students here at West Carrollton express themselves in many different ways, particularly fashion. I sat down with a variety of students from different grade levels to get an understanding of their style.

Void Moumouni, a sophomore at “West Carrollton,” describes their style as alternative which means  outside of the norm of the regular high schooler. They continued by saying it’s an expression of themselves because they love to stand out. They also added they would never leave the house without a choker because they feel naked without it.

Junior Cessaly Giolitto describes her style as “hippy-ish.” She feels that her style is  an expression of her inside self. A piece Cessaly can’t leave without in the morning is her necklace with the name of her significant other. These are 2 people I wanted to speak  with because their styles stick out in the room. They are very LOUD and expressive when it comes to fashion. Cessaly favors long skirts and oversized cardigans. While Void prefers to wear skinny jeans, all black or white.

These choices of people like to choose the “flashier” or “standout” route, like Kendell Shrivers (Senior) who describes his style as unique meaning he goes for what other people can’t go for he feels like this is an expression of himself to an extent. Kendall says he can’t leave without his diamond  earrings. Without them he feels naked. NyZir Satterwhite (Junior) who describes her style as “very stylish and creative” meaning she throws on whatever is comfortable she feels like she’s expressing herself all the time when dressing and she wouldn’t leave without jewelry and lip-gloss. Kendall may wear solid colors, skinny jeans or high end clothes while NyZir goes for the most unique pieces.

La Derek Smith is a senior who describes his style as “homeless and relaxed.” He feels like he’s being his true self when wearing these clothes. Another stylish senior here is Marshea Murphy who describes her style as their personality. She says it’s a big expression of her inner self. Marshae could never leave her purse, saying stay ready so you don’t have to get ready. Both the seniors tend to wear baggier and loose clothes.

A freshman stand out is KhriShae Hale who describes her style as colorful and vibrant. She feels like she doesn’t look her best, it just throws her off. She could never leave without her Jordans. Next is Javada Hopkins-Russell, who was on Homecoming Court. She describes her style as “different,” and she feels like this is a big representation of her inner self and could never leave home without her purse. The last freshman that I spoke to was Ta’ziyah Gladden who describes her style as a mashup of “girly girl and tomboy.” She feels like she is expressing herself when she dresses like this, adding that she could never leave home without her purse or nose ring. The younger females tend to have similar styles sporting vibrant girly outfits most days and solid color tomboyish.

Sophomore Kam Martinez who describes his style as more so based on emotion or how he is feeling that day. Meaning if he’s feeling happier he’ll dress up in more vibrant clothes then when he’s sad doesn’t dress up at all.  Kam could never leave without his hoodies. I happened to interview a close friend of mine, Marcellus Brown (Junior) who describes his style as “Impeccable.” He says this is a big expression of himself because he’s always comfortable; he could never leave without a hoodie.  stylish sophomore Raniah Myles who describes her style as “chill and comfy,” she feels like this is a big expression of herself and says she could never leave without her lip gloss. She always has the best color coordinated outfits.

As you can see we have so many different styles here at West Carrollton so many different personalities that are being expressed through style.