The Hook

The student news site of West Carrollton High School

The Hook

The Hook

Pirate Robotics
Pirate Robotics
Abbi Akemon, Staff Writer • April 26, 2024

Pirate Robotics is a very interesting club at West Carrollton High School whose season started in early January. They didn’t start competitions...

Prom 2024
Prom 2024
Madi McCune April 25, 2024

As prom approaches a lot goes into the big night. You may not realize but preparations need to be made soon. Here's how to ensure you have the...

Academic Challenge Team

In the dynamic landscape of high school education, where students are constantly seeking opportunities to explore and expand their intellectual horizons, the Academic Challenge Team can do that for you. There are always going to be activities that you may want to do but are not available, well here’s a new curriculum that you can come and join and who are looking for members right now. The curriculum is the Academic Challenge Team. The team is run by out-of-school teacher Mrs.Gordon helping these students use their brains and fun ways while doing stuff like trivia and Jeopardy-like activities. They seep into advanced topics, explore new theories, and stay abreast of the latest developments in their chosen fields. Dedicated faculty advisors play a crucial role in guiding the team, providing support, and honing their competitive edge. This is a competitive group in which teams of four or more go head to head against each other in competitiveness,  and also doing this with other schools to determine ranks of intelligence. A great example of a challenge team is watching an episode of Jeopardy,  and having to use your prefrontal cortex to gather information that you’ve learned in the past and apply it to everyday knowledge. There are many different categories,  pPoint values, and a variety of competitions. After going through theyour first 10 rounds of questions you reach the alphabet round and the lightning round. In the alphabet round, you are given 20 questions and a letter. The answer to each question will begin with that letter. The lightning round is a set of 20 Questions given to both teams with a 5-second limit to answer each question. This is a great opportunity and way to meet new people and use your brains together,  to help your team win in a game of putting the knowledge you know to use.  This also challenges your brain to make fast answers and decisions on the spot. You have to be mentally ready for anything and any question to come your way and be fast was response and communicating with your team. To join the academic challenge team,  please go to the Main office and ask about joining,  the only thing you would need before joining is an on-file physical.  Yyou will be traveling to places like other schools to compete in these teams that will be after school,  transportation will be given there but not back. As they are looking for members now here is the list of the amazing academic challenge teams that we have so far,  and applaud these smart cookies for putting in their efforts and challenging themselves weekly as they compete with other teams.  The team consisted of Mason Adeloytt who is a senior Kassidy Carter who is a junior, Lila Williams who was a sophomore,  and Leland Alsup who was a freshman.  come now to challenge yourself and see if you can put yourself to the test as this is a friendly competition but worth all the effort.  Thank you to our challenge team for giving us this information.