Pirate Patch Garden

Emily Howard, Staff Writer

Mrs. Lori Ferguson’s botany students, in partnership with Ms. Judi Brooks, the IVDL Coordinator, created the Pirate Patch Garden at WCHS toward the end of last school year to help grow fruits and vegetables. The class had many volunteers help them pull off this fantastic feat.

Mrs. Ferguson’s botany classes have been caring for it every day.

Mr. Henderson and Mrs. Ferguson also team-teach the Academy Botany class, who also help tend the garden. Mrs. Ferguson and Ms. Brooks, had the idea to plant the garden.

The botany classes are growing tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower and pumpkins. Mrs. Ferguson is hoping by next year they can add strawberries and raspberries. “Now our Academy [botany] class is doing it too,” said Mrs. Ferguson. The garden is located across from the library, by the hallway that contains the gym.

Most of the produce grown there is sent to St. Vincent de Paul and the West Carrollton food pantry because of the scarce supply of fresh produce. “We were helping make a meal, and we were absolutely astounded by the amount of bad food they had in the homeless shelter,” said Ms. Vanderpool. St. Vincent de Paul mostly receives pastries and canned foods from the general public. The remaining vegetables left after shipments to St. Vincent de Paul and the West Carrollton Food Pantry are given to teachers, staff and students.

The staff members involved include Ms. Ferguson, Ms. Brooks and Mr. Henderson.

You can donate to St. Vincent de Paul at 120 W. Apple St. Dayton, OH 45402.

UPDATE: In an earlier version of this article, it was said that the We Can Help Serve students created the Pirate Patch Garden. The garden was created by Mrs. Ferguson’s Botany classes. 

Produce grown in the garden is sent to St. Vincent de Paul or goes to the West Carrollton food pantry. All the leftover food from the garden is eaten by staff and students.

The Hook would like to apologize for any confusion or misrepresentation this caused.