College Tips and Tricks

Jackie Florea, Staff Writer

It’s that time of year for senior students: filling out applications to colleges and visiting colleges as well. For the past month, WCHS has given senior students the opportunity to visit colleges with the school. Because November is National Application Month for students, a lot of seniors have been taking advantage of all the free informational trips to colleges with the school. Other than going with the school to different colleges around the area, some students go with family and relatives to get another opinion and to truly grasp the college life on their own time.

Senior Shelby Jordan talked about her college tour experiences. She was pleased to share all the things she liked about college tours. “I really enjoy the fact that West Carrollton gives seniors these types of opportunities to go to colleges that you might not be able to visit on your own time, it’s truly an eye opener when you actually visit colleges. I went on the school class trip to Wright State, it was a completely different atmosphere from high school,” Jordan said. “Even if you aren’t that interested in a college, go any- ways. It could change your mind and try to experience different college atmospheres. Experiment with rural, suburban, big colleges, small remote colleges, and even try community colleges. Make sure the college you choose to visit fits your personality and makes you comfortable, do your research on colleges.”

Senior Haley Nixon said, “I like that [WCHS offers] trips to go on, but they should give us a stronger election process and more information on open houses and stuff. We can look up colleges on our own time, but it’s different if you have a planned informational guide about the colleges that are suggested.” When Nixon was asked on what she most enjoyed about college visits she said, “Feeling the different atmospheres within each college. After comparing high school to this it’s truly something better to look forward to and knowing all that time and effort spent working hard in high school can finally pay off when you fill out applications to colleges, and getting accepted is truly a great achievement.”

Senior Mylan Freeman’s advice to underclassmen who may be worried about college: “Stay on top of your grades, it makes your senior year a lot easier when you have to start applying for colleges.” Freeman visited four colleges total, including the University of Cincinnati.

Senior Bailey Jenkins shared her experience visiting OSU with her Mom. Jenkins said the visit “was so cool. We walked around the university with the tour guide and my favorite part visiting OSU was that the band played for us and the campus is so beautiful. OSU was one of my favorite colleges that I have so far visited.”

It will truly make your college experience less stressful and more enjoyable if you absolutely love the college of your choice. Make sure to discuss your college and career plans with your family or supporters of you, and get their opinions on it. Take virtual tours. It’s different from seeing it in person, but it will give you more insight rather than just viewing a website. Create a plan when you go on a college visit. Ask plenty of questions and don’t stress yourself if you don’t like a specific college. There are hundreds of colleges all around you. Go explore them!

Interested in hearing about college from a BGSU first-year student’s perspective? Check out this article.