How Thanksgiving Evolved

Emily Norman, Editor in Chief

Turkey, ham, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole and pumpkin pie. These are the types of food ate on the famous holiday, Thanksgiving. Growing up and smelling all the food relatives were cooking on Thanksgiving was one of the best parts of the day.

On last Thursday of November, Americans celebrate Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is usually celebrated at family gatherings or at home. Some people use Thanksgiving as a get away from school. Others think about the holiday itself and celebrate it with family members. You may not fully know the background of the holiday even though you celebrate Thanksgiving every year.

In September 1620, the Mayflower left Plymouth in England carrying 102 passengers. Seeking to freely practice their religion and own land their own land. They spent 66 long days traveling on the Mayflower. Throughout the first winter, most remained on board suffering from outbreaks of diseases. Half of the passengers were wiped out due to disease, only some passengers survived to see their first spring. The Native Americans taught the Pilgrims a lot about growing corn and collecting extract from maple trees. According to History.com, catching fish and what plants to avoid. In November after the Pilgrims first harvest of corn grew, Governor William Bradford held a celebration feast inviting the colonies of Native Americans. The feast lasted a total of three whole days. Making Thanksgiving a celebration, the Pilgrims held a second feast in 1623. Marking the end of a long drought that could’ve wiped out all the harvest.

According to History.com, for more than two centuries Thanksgiving was celebrated in individual colonies and states. In 1863, President Lincoln proclaimed it a national holiday to be held in November. History teacher, Mr Steve Flickinger described  “The first Thanksgiving with the pilgrims and Indians in 1621 is probably more myth than fact, but it makes a neat story. George Washington proclaimed a national day of Thanksgiving in 1789 and Abraham Lincoln made it an official holiday on the last Thursday in November in 1863 (kinda tough to celebrate during the Civil War) and Franklin Roosevelt made it officially the fourth Thursday in November 1941.”

In many different American households, we celebrate Thanksgiving a little differently than others. Some have lost the value of the religious significance, and focus more on the cooking and sharing ideas. America has a 90% rate of eating a turkey on Thanksgiving dinner and it is probably most common because it goes with the holiday. “The main tradition is certainly stuffing ourselves with good food.” Mr.Flickinger said. A turkey may be what was offered at the Pilgrim’s feast in 1621. Other traditional foods include stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie.” According to History.com. Parades are also a tradition for the holiday. It’s also a tradition to gather as a family and watch NFL football.

New to WCHS, as of last year now is getting an entire week off of school for Thanksgiving has helped with families that travel over the holiday. WCHS used to only allow three days off of school. Transitioning to a full week has an effect to our holiday experience. When asked if students, teachers and administrators deserve a week off of school, Flickinger said, “I think we always deserve a break. I’m glad the school district changed the calendar to allow us the whole week off instead of just Wednesday, Thursday and Friday as it used to be.”