WCHS Social Studies Teacher Ms. Baker

Alicia Carpenter, Student Life Editor

Ms. Rachel Baker is a first-year social studies teacher here at WCHS. She teaches American history, current issues, and sociology. Her favorite class to teach is current issues. She says that it makes her sad to think that many of her students will be graduating this year, but she hopes that they will come back to visit after graduation. So far she’s enjoying her new job and she really likes the staff and students here. “The staff is very welcoming and energetic,” Baker says. This year, she’s learned how different it is “standing on the other side of the classroom as a teacher”, she adds that it really makes her think about her behavior and work from when she was in high school. The thing that surprises her most about being a teacher is “how much [she does] not care to embarrass [herself] in front of the students”. She says that she often tells corny jokes or plays loud music and dances to keep her students awake.

Ironically, she didn’t like history while attending school. Her favorite classes were English, anatomy, and American forestry. She says she’s always liked the idea of being a teacher, but if she were to have to pick something else she would choose a career in the medical field. Jobs she had before teaching included working at Dairy Queen, the KOA campground, American Eagle, an Apple store, and being a campus tour guide.

Throughout high school, she was a very involved student. She played basketball, ran cross country, played in the marching band, and was student body Vice President. While attending Ohio University, she was in a band. Currently her favorite hobbies to do in her free time are sleeping, running, reading, and shopping. Her favorite author is Jeff Lindsay, who wrote the books that the television show Dexter is based off of. She also loves animals and has two pets: a fish name Genghis Fin and a cat named Eleanor.

UPDATE: In an earlier version of this article, it was said that Ms. Baker attended The Ohio State University. Ms. Baker is an alumnae of Ohio University. The Hook would like to apologize for any confusion this caused. We’d especially like to apologize to Mrs. Parsons. Go Bobcats!