Freshman cut out for crew

Timothy Bowles, Staff Writer

Have you ever heard of rowing? No? Freshman Bailey Jones is a rower and he loves it.

Jones is a member of Gym City Crew rowing team and has been a member for about a year now. He believes it is something everyone should give a try. Jones says, “Rowing is really challenging, always exhausting, but it’s worth it.” Rowing involves dozens of people competing in boat races where they use oars to guide each team through obstacles.

Jones says his best experience was at Head of the Hooch in Tennessee, an event where rowers from all over the world go to compete. The event had free food and clothing provided for everyone and it was a very memorable event for Jones. Summer rowing season begins around June, rowing in the fall seasons begins in September, and winter rowing begins after the last week of November.

Jones happens to be the only member of the crew team from WCHS. Jones said he enjoys the new friends he has made and his caring coaches on the team. They train in Miamisburg and they practice three to five days a week. Jones says, “Joining the team would be a good idea because it’s a good way to find new friends, learn how to work as a team, and meet people from different schools.”

Jones says rowing is rewarding because there are a lot of physical benefits including weight loss. If you plan on joining crew, the only restriction is that you must be at least 13 years old, otherwise all you have to do is sign up. If you’d like to join a rowing team like Jones and you think rowing would be something you’d enjoy, speak to him and he might help you gather more information and you could be a part of a club team next season.