Cold days and delays

Staff Editorial

News Staff

How cold is too cold? When winter sets in, it seems that the student body and staff become more eager for delays and closings. So far this school year, we have had one snow day on January 20 and a snow day on February 9. Last year, WCHS had 6 delays and closings in January. The month of February had 11 delays and closings. Many of those delays and closings had less to do with snow and more to do with temperature. Students eager for days off may wonder what temperature and snowfall measurement leads to a school delay or closing. Also, how are students supposed to prepare for inclement weather?

If the weather is below 0 F, then West Carrollton Schools should guarantee a two hour delay. This would benefit the student body because they would be sure whether or not they needed a ride to school or may have to be outside in the cold before the phone call from the school comes. Not only do students worry, but some teachers have concerns about the cold. English teacher Mr. Jeffery Earl pointed out that kids have to ride the bus and others even walk to school. Junior Alex Caputo, who often walks to school, said “I think too cold is below zero to be honest.”

A majority of students here at WCHS rely on busing to get to school. This can be a huge problem when faced with cold weather. Students have to stand outside on those cold mornings and wait for their bus, which may be running late. According to the National Weather Service, frostbite can occur within 5 minutes in any temperature under 0 F.

Dr. Rusty Clifford, the district’s superintendent and the person who makes the call to
cancel school, said there is currently no specific temperature set for a delay and added in an email “There are many factors that are considered when deciding to delay and/or close school – temperature is just one of them.”

There should be posted district standards for cold days so that weekday mornings are less stressful. We believe that there should be a set temperature for cold delays so that students and parents can be aware and prepared in the mornings. We believe that the set temperature for a district’s delay policy should be somewhere between 10 and -10 F.