West Carrollton wins in first Chili Cook-Off

Emily Howard, Emily Norman

On Friday, Feb. 12, West Carrollton City Schools hosted and won their first annual Chili Cook-Off in WCHS’ cafeteria to raise money for Pirate Packs, a non-profit organization to help fight hunger within the district.

The Chili Cook-Off was a “huge success” according to WCSD Superintendent Dr. Rusty Clifford.  In total, the fundraiser raised $6,600 for Pirate Packs.

Over 500 people showed up at the fundraiser and over 80 volunteers helped with cooking, setting up and cleaning. The fire departments of Moraine, West Carrollton, and Miami Township were the competitors and West Carrollton won the cook-off. In the high school cafeteria, people ate chili, got their faces painted and socialized with each other.

Pirate Packs is a non-profit organization that is helping to fight hunger for our fellow elementary-aged Pirate students. Pirate Packs began in  Feb. 2012, and with donations and grants they have been feeding students who may not get food over the weekend. With just $8, Pirate Packs can fill up a backpack for a Pirate. The backpacks include: cereal packs, granola bars, non-refrigerated pudding, 16 oz peanut butter, fruit juices, cheese cracker packs, one serving of Easy Mac, pop top can of fruit, vegetables, tuna, and microwavable Chef Boyardee. All the food must be individually sized, pop top, and microwavable.

“A tremendous thank you to the fire departments at the City of West Carrollton, City of Moraine and Miami Township. They were all very willing gracious participants,” said Dr. Clifford. “The real winners will be all of our students that will be served by Pirate Packs.”