Feeling the green

St. Patrick’s Day Traditions in the World and at WCHS

Cynthia Magana, Staff Writer

St. Patrick’s Day is today! St. Patrick’s Day is one of the most popular festivities in the world. Celebrations started back in 1737. St. Patrick’s Day began as a religious feast day for the patron saint but now St. Patrick’s Day has become an international festival celebrating Irish culture with parades, dancing, special food and a whole bunch of green.

Today St. Patrick’s Day is celebrated by Irish and non-Irish people. Regardless of their ethnic background, many wear green clothes and items to celebrate the holiday.

Yearbook and Broadcast News teacher Mrs.Emily Earl and English teacher Mr. Jeff Earl are big St. Patrick’s Day fans. Mrs. Earl and Mr. Earl attend “ Greenest, Grandest St. Patrick’s Day Parade” in Dublin, Ohio. In addition to the parade, the festival includes The Blarney Bash with live music and dancing. Mrs.Earl said that when she hears/sees the color green she thinks of money and Irish things. Mrs. Earl also said “My mom’s all about Irish stuff, we have a ton of green.” Mrs.Earl believes “only one can hope” that there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

WCHS students expressed less enthusiasm for the holiday. According to a poll on Twitter that was posted on March 1, 26% of WCHS student voters wear green and go to a party or an event. 44% don’t really seem fascinated of St. Patrick’s Day, and 23% sit at home.

As a child, WCHS students may have enjoyed St. Patrick’s Day treats like “green eggs and ham,” green milk served at school lunch, and green hot dogs in elementary school.

St. Patrick's Day festivities are not a priority for WCHS students according to this poll conducted on Twitter March 1.
St. Patrick’s Day festivities are not a priority for WCHS students according to this poll conducted on Twitter March 1.

Contributions to this story were made by Editor in Chief Emily Norman.