West Carrollton Schools levy on the ballot again

Kyle Leisenring

At the start of the 2016-2017 school year students were walking. The high school’s transportation was cut when the school levy did not pass last March.  On November 8, the school levy will be on the ballot again.

If the levy does not pass in November, many things will happen. According to the district’s website, they would have to cut 20-25 employee positions in West Carrollton Schools before next school year and busing will not return in January.

If the levy does pass, then West Carrollton will be able to keep their wonderful teachers and working staff. According to the district’s website, the money will be spent on transportation, every day expenses and support for students.  According to WCHS principal Mr. Craig Myers, “The transportation would be back right off the bat.”

A student in the West Carrollton district who walks to school every day said “It is very stressful because you have to wake up way earlier than normal and it is dangerous crossing those busy streets on the way to school.”

The levy affects a lot of people in the community. WCHS students have to walk to school,  teachers are nervous about losing their jobs and parents can’t find a way to take their children to school.

If the levy passes, it would bring “about $2 million to the district each year for five years,” according to the district’s website. This would cost the owner of a $100,000 home a little over $16 a month. If the levy does not pass, West Carrollton Schools will be in a great amount of debt and may have to sooner or later get rid of certain sports and clubs in West Carrollton Schools.