WCHS Heats Up

Community Prepares for 2nd Annual Chili Cook-Off

West+Carrollton+is+voted+the+winner+of+the+Chili+Cook-Off+in+last+years+competition.++Superintendent+Dr.+Clifford+gives+the+award.+

Ms. Betz

West Carrollton is voted the winner of the Chili Cook-Off in last year’s competition. Superintendent Dr. Clifford gives the award.

Chris Lynch

On Friday Feb. 17, WCHS will host its 2nd Annual Chili Cook-off from 5-7 p.m. in the high school cafeteria. Firefighters from Miami Township, Moraine and West Carrollton will be putting on their chef’s hats and pulling out their best firehouse chili recipe to compete for votes. The winner last year was West Carrollton, and they are hoping to continue the trend, but Miami Township and Moraine have promised to bring the heat (but not in the chili).

Thanks to sponsors, the food and fun are free, but donations will be accepted for Pirate Packs, a non-profit organization that is helping to fight hunger for our fellow Pirate students. The Chili Cook-Off is followed by the Boys’ Varsity basketball game against Walter Stebbins in the high school gym. Tipoff at 7 p.m.

The Chili Dinner will have music, a 50/50 raffle, face painting and, of course, the Chili Contest. The menu will include beef or vegetarian chili, a “Chili Fixin’s Bar” (cheese, crackers, onions, etc), tortilla chips, hot dogs, desserts, and soda/water. Later that night, the Fire Departments will face off in a shooting contest at halftime of the Boy’s Varsity basketball game.

Pirate Packs began in Feb. 2012, and with donations and grants they have been feeding students who may not get food at home over the weekends. With just $8, Pirate Packs can fill up a backpack for a Pirate. The backpacks include: cereal packs, granola bars, non-refrigerated pudding, 16 oz peanut butter, fruit juices, cheese cracker packs, one serving of Easy Mac, pop top can of fruit, vegetables, tuna, and microwavable Chef Boyardee. All the food must be individually sized, a pop top, and microwavable.

Last year’s Cook-Off was a tremendous success. It raised around $6,600 for Pirate Packs. Over 500 people showed up to the fundraiser and over 80 volunteers helped with cooking, setting up and cleaning. The fire departments of Moraine, West Carrollton, and Miami Township were the competitors and West Carrollton won the cook-off.

“We are so excited to host this event again because it was so well attended and created such a positive energy. Students, staff, and community members came together for a great cause and had a great time doing it!” said Melissa Theis, WCSD Assistant Superintendent.

Make sure to spread the word and come to WCHS for the 2nd Annual Chili Cook-Off on Feb. 17 from 5-7 p.m.