The Hook

The student news site of West Carrollton High School

The Hook

The Hook

Pirate Robotics
Pirate Robotics
Abbi Akemon, Staff Writer • April 26, 2024

Pirate Robotics is a very interesting club at West Carrollton High School whose season started in early January. They didn’t start competitions...

Prom 2024
Prom 2024
Madi McCune April 25, 2024

As prom approaches a lot goes into the big night. You may not realize but preparations need to be made soon. Here's how to ensure you have the...

Should Phones come back during lunch?

At the first school meeting with our new principal, Mr.White said that there would be no phones in school from 8:00 a.m. to 3:10 p.m. But why can’t students have their phones during lunch? The main reason Mr.White isn’t allowing the phones is because he wants students to socialize more with one another.  Ever since COVID-19 happened, the socialization and interaction of students at lunch have decreased. Another reason Mr.White is not allowing students to have phones at lunch is because he thinks if he ever allows kids to have phones during lunch, students would start to expand the policy and students would use them more in class.

Lunch is really the only time of the day in school when students get to relax, talk to their friends, or even take a quick nap, but it’s difficult to relax when lunch is run so strictly. Most students like to watch YouTube, Netflix, and even Disney + while they eat their food or even just look at social media. Ever since the “no phone” policy has been added, most of the students have been compliant with the rules, and students’ grades and GPA have been rising. The low percentage of students that aren’t following the current rules and just don’t care… grades aren’t seeing any improvement. The rules are not fair for the high percentage of students who are following his rules though. So please Mr. White, give us students the chance to have our phones at lunch.