The Hook

The student news site of West Carrollton High School

The Hook

The Hook

The Senior Dilemma
Alexys Shirley April 30, 2024

Artist Alexis Shirley shows the decisions facing today's seniors.

WCHS Art Fest
WCHS Art Fest
Bryson Barnes, Staff/Writer • April 30, 2024

West Carrollton is having it’s first annual WCHS Art Fest on May 4th at the High School. The WCHS Art Fest is a festival dedicated to...

Pirate Alumni Spotlight

Brad Carlisle

At West Carrollton High School, one can find exemplary staff members around every corner of the hallways. However, only a select few have remained part of the institution since their high school education or even before that, exemplifying their unwavering dedication. It is high time to allocate the well-deserved recognition to these timeless pirates. Brad Carlisle has always been a Pirate graduating from West Carrollton High School in 1990. After playing Division 1 football for West Carrollton High School, Mr. Carlisle received a full football scholarship to Miami University.  After receiving a full scholarship there as well he carried on with his education, spending six years at Miami University and football for a full five years in the Western Ohio League. Due to a broken knee cap sustained during a game, he only played football for five years, with his final game being at Miami University in 1995.

After earning his degree from Miami University in 1996, he began working at West Carrollton High School. Since 2001, Brad Carlisle has been an intervention specialist. “Superwow” is what Mr. Carlisle now works on and teaches students in this program. He has been in this program since 2007 working with kids all around.. Mr Carlisle has said that the West Carrollton School District has changed positively with the new buildings and schools in the district and how much more the area has changed because of it. Mr. Carlisle said that some traditions  that he loves are still here such as not letting the students step on the pirate ships in the lounges.

Perspectives are also a big thing that is changed around once coming back to the school as a staff member. One of the perspectives that have changed from Mr. Carlisle is the changing and diversity in the population of the schools. They are dedicated to Preparing every student for successful careers in life, no matter the circumstances for the person or language barrier. West Carrollton Schools are always ready to help a student when in need.  People don’t usually go back to the school that they originated from, but Mr. Carlisle did. He had a big influence while going to the school which made him want to further his career and teach with WC students. While going to the school here Mr. Carlisle was fortunate enough to have an inspiring teacher who is known as Mr. Hess.  

Mr. Carlisle is full of pirate pride. He went here as a student, and he is now a veteran teacher here.  Mr. Carlisle is always a welcoming familiar face. Make sure to show your pride back! GO PIRATES!