The Hook

The student news site of West Carrollton High School

The Hook

The Hook

Pirate Robotics
Pirate Robotics
Abbi Akemon, Staff Writer • April 26, 2024

Pirate Robotics is a very interesting club at West Carrollton High School whose season started in early January. They didn’t start competitions...

Prom 2024
Prom 2024
Madi McCuneApril 25, 2024

As prom approaches a lot goes into the big night. You may not realize but preparations need to be made soon. Here's how to ensure you have the...

Pirate Alumni Spotlight

PJ Carlisle

PJ Mayberry, now Mrs. Carlisle was once a student at WCHS. She walked through these halls, enjoyed our pirate traditions, and sat in the stands. The question is, what brought her back? 

Mrs. Carlisle graduated from West Carrollton in 1995 where she then pursued Comprehensive Social Studies Education at Wright State and continued with her masters at the University of Dayton. As a high schooler, she had a dream to come back to West Carrollton and teach where she had enjoyed her time as a student. She hoped to give back to the community that made her who she is today, the teacher we all know and love. 

Mrs. Carlisle is looking forward to the new buildings and the positive impact they will have on our community. Mrs Carlisle also states that as she has spent her time in the district it has grown in diversity and culture, expanding her knowledge and providing her students with a better outlook on what the world is like. She feels that our school has always been like a family through the changes and diversity we face. 

When looking back at memories in high school Mrs Carlisle picks out the graduation ceremony. It has been a student-led ceremony for over 50 years. Mrs. Carlisle carries this love of the tradition now as a graduation advisor. When Mrs. Carlisle was a student at WCHS the graduation advisor Mr. McCullom did a great job of preserving the student-led graduation and made seniors feel prideful in their school. As a student, Mrs. Carlisle loved feeling heard and felt the seniors were proud to make an impact on their ceremony, which is why she continues to lead graduation today.  

It is known at WCHS that Mrs. Carlisle has such a big influence and impact on lots of students but when she was in high school she greatly looked up to her chemistry teacher Mrs. Vicki Hilliard. As a student, Mrs. Carlisle took chemistry twice just to have her favorite teacher again. Mrs. Carlisle liked her high expectations and care towards her students. In coming back to teach at the high school Mrs Carlisle was able to teach alongside Mrs Hilliard for many years and the two grew to form a friendship as co-workers. The two have been through a lot together, Mrs. Hilliard was there for Mrs. Carlisle through every chemo treatment, and to this day Mrs. Carlisle says that she holds a special place in her heart. It is the teachers who influence our teachers to be who they are. We can be grateful for not only Mrs. Carlisle but Mrs. Hilliard as well.  

Fun Facts: 

• Favorite foods: Diet Coke, peanut butter, steak, honey crisp apples, ice cream 
  • Colors: Fuschia, Teal, Black 
  • Hobbies/activities: Spending time with friends and family, walking, reading, shopping, board games, and attending church
  • TV shows: Married at First Sight, The Black List