The Hook

The student news site of West Carrollton High School

The Hook

The Hook

Pirate Robotics
Pirate Robotics
Abbi Akemon, Staff Writer • April 26, 2024

Pirate Robotics is a very interesting club at West Carrollton High School whose season started in early January. They didn’t start competitions...

Prom 2024
Prom 2024
Madi McCuneApril 25, 2024

As prom approaches a lot goes into the big night. You may not realize but preparations need to be made soon. Here's how to ensure you have the...

Pirate Alumni Spotlight

Makayla Woody
Makayla Woody 2017
Alli Barnhart
Makayla Woody 2017

Makayla Woody graduated from West Carrollton High School in the class of 2017. During high school, she decided that she was going to go to Bowling Green State University. When she graduated, she was asked to teach summer school at West Carrollton High School. Miss Woody had always planned to come back to WCHS and since she heard a position in the math department was available, she went for it. She has stated that she loves teaching here and wouldn’t want to teach anywhere else. 

Things have changed since Miss Woody was here as a high school student. She states that there are a lot more clubs and groups for students to be  involved in. Miss Woody loves all the fundraising opportunities that the schools offer to the kids and the local community. She stated, “We offer our powder puff football game, canned food drive, staff-student basketball game, and even the dodgeball tournament.” Miss Woody has said that since she has been working here as a teacher, her perspective has changed. Miss Woody says that since becoming a WC staff member, she understands how much work needs to be put into the both building and the students so that everything runs smoothly. She wants to provide as good of an education to her students as he received from her teachers when she was in high school.

She had many fond memories during high school such as going to football games. She loved having the drum line and cheerleaders during 4th quarter together in front of the student section. She had many experiences good and bad with her lunchtime adventures. She laughs, saying that she spent a lot of extra money bribing Mrs. Jacobs with a chocolate frosty and a classic chicken sandwich with extra tomato so she wouldn’t count her late. Miss Woody says that many teachers influenced her: Ms. Vandyke was a good teacher to her and now they are still friends. She also had Mrs. Mitchell and took woods classes with Mr. Hess. She also had other influential teachers who are no longer at WC: Ms. Williams, Mrs. Jacobs, and Mr. Flickinger.