Robotics advances to WORLDS

Kevin Clem, Sports Editor

Last March, the very first WCHS Robotics team competed in the FIRST Robotics Buckeye Regional in Cleveland, Ohio. The team had an outstanding showing , where they placed 12 out of 58 teams from Ohio, New York, Ontario, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Wisconsin and West Virginia. #6032 (WCHS’ robot) was controlled by seniors Alex Burchett and Jake Shockley and was awarded the Highest Rookie Seed Award and the Rookie All-Star Award, which gives them the opportunity to compete at the FIRST Robotics World competition in St. Louis, Missouri.

Our goal for the World’s competition is to compete to the best of our abilities and hopefully bring home some hardware.

— Chase Bartram

The FIRST Robotics World competition takes place April 27-30 and will consist of the same tasks and challenges as the Buckeye regional. We all saw a small taste of the robot’s abilities in the talent show. The only difference between the competitions is that #6032 will have much more competition. Nine hundred teams (consisting in total of around 20,000 students) will compete at FIRST Robotics World. When asked about the competition, senior team member Chase Bartram said “our goal for the World’s competition is to compete to the best of our abilities and hopefully bring home some hardware.”